- All destinations
5 BEDROOMS | 10 GUESTS | CENTRO HISTÓRICO, PARATY
One of the most stylish properties available to rent in Brazil, the villa surpasses what most can only imagine when thinking of renting a villa. This impressive former merchant’s mansion occupies the corner of two of the quietest streets in the colonial town of Paraty, which is closed to all motorized traffic. In the evening, the best restaurants and boutiques are just a short walk away along the charming cobblestone streets lined with whitewashed houses. By day, its also just a short walk away from the dock, where you will find boats to take you around the beaches and islands of the Bay of Paraty.
The current owner bought the house as a crumbling pousada and immediately set about a meticulous restoration of the property which was then furnished by period pieces shipped from Paris, including art-nouveau carrera marble coffee tables in the sitting room and an Eighteenth century mahogany dinning table for ten guests. Rare tribal headdresses sourced from the Brazilian Amazon and original black and white portrait photography by Richard Avedon add colour and flare.
The house has five bedrooms spread between the main structure and a guest house extending along one side of a private walled-garden. All five bedrooms have ensuite bathrooms, ceiling fans and air-conditioning. The main structure has three double bedrooms, and the further two guest house bedrooms that are accessed through the garden can be set up with either double or twin beds.
The house is great for entertaining, with much of the ground floor taken up by a spacious sitting room connected to a dining room and large adjacent kitchen. The other side of the sitting room opens onto a tiled outdoor veranda with lots of dining and sitting space, great for enjoying breakfast, relaxing, or admiring the lush garden with its native fruit, coconut palm trees, and collection of orchids, which lend the house its name.
The result of all this is a stunning home - immensely stylish, very comfortable, equipped with all the modern conveniences, and ideally located in the heart of the old town, just a short walk to the best restaurants and boutiques.
The villa is suitable for groups of friends and families with children. The house is ideal for those who enjoy entertaining and those who value stylish design, privacy, and an extremely attentive staff.
VILLA 53 ACCOMMODATION
• Kitchen: Spacious fully equipped kitchen with large professional cooker, stove, microwave, 2 fridge + freezers & good storage space | small dining table | service area & washing machine off the back | guest bathroom & cloak room to the side
• Dining Room: Dark wood table for 10 people, on top of a big dark red carpet | 2 light green doors which let in plenty of sunlight | interesting art | A/C + ceiling fan
• Living Room: Bright, spacious room with white and pale green ceiling, doors & windows | 2 large couches, chairs & a day bed by the window | connects to the dining room & kitchen | large French doors leading out onto the tiled veranda | A/C + ceiling fan
• Veranda: Covered open-air veranda outside the living room | tiled, red brick floor | couches & small breakfast table | surrounded by the garden
• Bedroom 1: Double bed with white linens | ensuite bathroom | elegant furnishings | A/C + ceiling fan
• Bedroom 2: Double bed with white linens | ensuite bathroom | elegant furnishings | A/C + ceiling fan
• Bedroom 3 (Master Suite): Double bed with white linens | private ensuite bathroom with a bathtub & lovely views over the town | elegant furnishings | A/C + ceiling fan
Accessed via the garden & extends along one side of the walled-garden
• Terrace: Good-sized terrace leading out into garden
• Sitting Room (Bedroom 4): Two extra sofa beds (best for children) | ensuite bathroom | A/C + ceiling fan
• Bedroom 5: Double bed (can be converted into twins) with white linens | private ensuite bathroom | elegant furnishings | A/C + ceiling fan
• Garden: Lush private walled-garden with native fruit & coconut palm trees | most noted for the collection of fragrant orchids (which lend the house its name)
Paraty is a lovely 17th century town that has been perfectly preserved thanks to a long period of isolation, and was declared a National Historical Monument in 1966. There are winding narrow cobblestone roads with small fishermen’s cottages and vast merchants mansions standing side by side, all white stucco with brightly painted shutters and doors. Vehicles are banned from the town, and the charming art galleries, shops, restaurants and bars tucked amongst the cobbled streets are best explored on foot. Paraty is equidistant between Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, both of which can be reached in 3.5-4 hours by car.
- Outdoor Seating
- Air Conditioning
- Maid Service
- Child Friendly
- 10 Guests
- 5 Bedrooms
- 5 Bathrooms
Maid service and cook from Monday to Friday (8am – 5pm).
Additional cooks, maids, babysitters, barmen, and evening cover may be provided for an extra cost and paid for locally when requested in advance.
TRANSFERS TO THE VILLA
Private transfers with trusted drivers can be arranged from the airports in both Rio and São Paulo upon request. Paraty also has its own airport, which is about ten minutes by car from the house, and helicopter and private plane charters are available upon request.
PRE-ARRIVAL GROCERY SHOPPING
To make your arrival at the property as relaxing as possible we suggest we stock the kitchen and fridges with a customized grocery shop prior to your arrival. This means that you will arrive to a kitchen full of food, a fridge full of cold drinks and that the first meal can be served shortly after your arrival.
DAY BOATS AND YACHT CHARTER
Boat charter is the best way to explore the pristine beaches and island restaurants in the Bay of Paraty. We work with a variety of speed-boats, crewed yachts and converted local fishing boats which can be arranged for you in advance or during your stay.
Bear in Mind
Availability and Prices
Please contact us for the complete price list for the year or for a quote based on specific dates.
Some properties have discounts available for smaller numbers of guests or couples.
FROM US$ 1,250 PER NIGHT
Minimum stay: 5 nights throughout the year, including New Year.
INCLUDED IN COST:
• Daily maid service and good local cook
• All local taxes & domestic bills (except for telephone)
• Assistance of an English-speaking BBH concierge available for an extra charge and must be booked in advance
• Transfers to and from the villa
• Car hire (recommended)
• Additional staff (professional cooks, maids, babysitters, barmen, etc.) available for an extra charge and must be booked in advance
• Food & beverages (can be pre-paid so that the kitchen is fully stocked upon arrival; this service has an extra cost of US$ 150, plus the cost of the groceries)
• Availability & prices are subject to change & will be confirmed at the time a booking request is received
• A one off US$ 300 booking fee is charged for all reservations
• A 50% non-refundable deposit is required to secure any booking, with the balance due no later than 60 days before the date of arrival. If the booking is made within 60 days of the date of arrival, then the full value of the rental is required
• Security deposit is usually 10% of the total amount of the booking (or a minimum of US$ 1,000) and should be paid with the balance. Usually it will be returned within 10 working days after departure if there are no damages or outstanding payments to be settled upon departure
• Full Terms & Conditions may be viewed here.