- Rio de Janeiro
7 BEDROOMS | UP TO 14 GUESTS | SANTA TERESA, RIO DE JANEIRO
For the first time, one of Rio’s oldest and most notable families open the doors to their private estate, an aristocratic enclave built in the 1920’s, hidden in the heart of Rio’s bohemian neighbourhood of Santa Teresa. Far from a concept hotel, the former private home is a villa experience where guests are welcomed as friends of the family and invited to live the home as their own.
A complete haven in the midst of the city, silent save for the sound of birds and the breeze in the almond trees, the 1970’s modernist white mansion sits enveloped in Rio’s tropical Mata-Atlantica rainforest. Below tumble priceless views over Rio’s Sugarloaf Mountain, its cityscape and the glistening Guanabara Bay. Authentic, elegant, intimate, discreet, the villa is a unique take on the ‘live like a local’ trend, executed to a new level a world apart from Airbnb and traditional ‘local’ guides, and unparalleled in Rio.
The recent restoration project, driven by the family’s fourth generation, retains the soul of the family home, their heritage inherent across the design, food and service. Each of the seven bedrooms is unique, offering views over the garden’s century-old mango tree or the spectacular cityscape. The interior design is a subtle take on tropical chic, where family antiques blend with contemporary Carioca design pieces, to create intimate corners for relaxing. From the over-sized sofas to the softest leather armchairs, the design communicates both the comfort and individuality of a private home. The open-plan living room leads out onto a 15-meter swimming-pool and wooden deck, where towelled sun-loungers overlook the spectacular view, and guests gather to watch golden twilight seep across the city over seasonal fruit caiprinhas crafted with artisanal cachaça (a distilled spirit made from sugarcane juice). Homemade breakfasts are served at a large communal table in the dining room, while in the wood-panelled library room, a log fire glows come cocktail hour.
A world away from the frills, foams and fusions of a restaurant, the villa offers guests home cooking executed to the highest level. The menu features the most classic of Carioca dishes, family favourites re-worked using the freshest local, seasonal ingredients. Homemade cakes, fresh juices and organic coffee are served daily as an afternoon treat, while the adega (wine cellar) stocks a selection of top boutique wines, and guests are contacted in advance so the staff can pre-stock their favourites.
Our master bedroom is something special - featuring a king-sized bed with views over the city, a private balcony, sofa, writing desk and plasma TV. The spacious marble bathroom overlooks both the city and garden, and combines a Jacuzzi bath-tub, big enough for two, with a double sink, walk-in shower and chaise-lounge.
With a separate sitting room, Joaquim is the only suite. Its living room can accommodate more than two guests, as there is a twin day-bed that can be converted for an adult or two children. The main bedroom sits on a corner, with two windows overlooking the forest and the swimming pool. There is a king-sized bed, sofa and writing desk, while the bathroom features a single sink and walk-in shower.
‘Astrid’, the elegant twin room with views over the swimming pool and almond trees, features a writing desk and chaise lounge. The bathroom, featuring a walk-in shower and single sink, opens onto a private balcony.
‘Eva’ is a beautiful, spacious room with a private balcony overlooking the pool and city. Additional features include a sofa and writing desk. The bathroom features a single sink and walk-in shower.
With a lateral view of the garden and our flowering red Ipê tree, the bedroom named ‘Sergio Alberto’ features two armchairs and a writing desk. The bathroom includes a walk-in shower and single sink.
Facing the garden, room ‘Sucena’ is a more spacious version of room ‘Leticia’, also capturing the afternoon light and with lovely views over our mango tree. Additional features include a comfy armchair, private balcony and writing desk. The bathroom features a walk-in shower and single sink.
Our coziest room, ‘Leticia’, captures the afternoon sunlight, and the king-sized bed overlooks the garden and century-old mango tree. The bathroom features a single sink and walk-in shower.
In order to help guests feel right at home, the hotel doesn’t follow standardized check-in and check-out times, working instead to make sure each room is available for guests’ arrival right up until their departure, at no additional cost. Opening up the family’s world to their guests, the in-house concierge can arrange private drivers and a variety of unique city experiences. The villa’s staff, who have been with the family for over 20 years, love to create intimate experiences for guests across the estate - be it a stroll through rows of imperial palm trees to the organic vegetable garden, or an intimate candle-lit dinner set in the garden, over-looking Christ statue. Their approach to looking after guests is focused on providing a personalized touch, straight from the heart.
Services include a concierge service, night accommodation, a breakfast buffet selection and à la carte options, complimentary soft drinks, water, fruit and daily home-made tea. Facilities include Wi-Fi and an ipod Dock, a Plasma and Apple TV, phone with voicemail, air conditioning, luxurious 400 count bed linen, bathrobes, toiletries and hairdryer, and a built-in safe.
VILLA 82 ACCOMMODATION
• Living/Dining Room: Open-plan | large communal dining table | leather armchairs and oversized sofas | leads out to wooden deck and pool area
• Library Room: wood-paneled | log fire
• Bedroom 1 (Claudia): King-sized bed | views over the city | private balcony | sofa | writing desk | Plasma TV
• Ensuite bathroom: overlooks both the city and garden | Jacuzzi bath-tub | double sink | walk-in shower | chaise-lounge.
• Bedroom 2 (Joaquim): The only suite | King-sized bed | overlooks the forest and the swimming pool | sofa | writing desk | Separate sitting room: can accommodate more than 2 guests
• Ensuite bathroom: single sink | walk-in shower.
• Bedroom 3 (Astrid): twin room | views over the swimming pool and almond trees | writing desk and chaise lounge
• Ensuite bathroom: Walk-in shower and single sink | opens onto a private balcony
• Bedroom 4 (Eva): Private balcony overlooking the pool and city | sofa and writing desk
• Ensuite bathroom: Single sink and walk-in shower
• Bedroom 5 (Sergio Alberto): View of the garden and flowering red Ipê tree | two armchairs and a writing desk
• Ensuite bathroom: Walk-in shower and single sink
• Bedroom 6 (Sucena): Captures the afternoon light | views over mango tree | comfy armchair and writing desk | private balcony
• Ensuite bathroom: Walk-in shower and single sink
• Bedroom 7 (Leticia): King-sized bed | captures afternoon sun-light | overlooks the garden and century-old mango tree
• Ensuite bathroom: Single sink and walk-in shower
• Kitchen: offers guests home cooking executed to the highest level | homemade cakes, fresh juices and organic coffee are served daily as an afternoon treat | adega (wine cellar) stocks a selection of top boutique wines
• Vast estate: Rows of imperial palm trees | organic vegetable garden | overlooks Christ statue, Sugarloaf Mountain, cityscape and Guanabara Bay
• Swimming Pool: 15 meters in length | wooden deck | toweled sun-loungers
Rio needs little introduction, and we are very experienced in working with guests to ensure that they enjoy the Marvellous City as much as possible. All guests receive the BBH Rio Guide, which includes up-to-date tips on where and what to do, as well as the city's very latest on restaurants and bars. We have excellent tour guides available who aim to guarantee you have the best experience possible during your time in Rio, as they would for their own family and friends.
Santa Teresa is an eclectic neighborhood located in the middle of Centro and Zona Sul - a 10 minute walk from the Lapa Arches, and a 15 minute drive to Copacabana, Ipanema, and Leblon beaches. It combines Brazilian culture and tradition with its delightful, winding cobblestone streets, lined with charming shops, bars, and restaurants. It also has a vibrant nightlife scene.
- Swimming Pool
- Outdoor Seating
- Air Conditioning
- Maid Service
- Child Friendly
- 14 Guests
- 7 Bedrooms
- 7 Bathrooms
The villa offers guests a concierge service and maid service.
Additional professional cooks, maids, babysitters, barmen, drivers, etc. may be provided for an extra cost when requested in advance. We also have excellent local guides based in Rio for those who wish to explore the city, which we especially recommended for first time visitors.
TRANSFERS TO THE VILLA
Private transfers with trusted drivers can be arranged from both Rio airports.
PRE-ARRIVAL GROCERY SHOPPING
Guests are contacted in advance so the staff can pre-stock their favourite wines for the adega (wine cellar). To make your arrival at the property as relaxing as possible, we suggest we stock the kitchen with a customized grocery shop prior to your trip. This means that you will arrive to a kitchen full of food, a fridge full of cold drinks and that the first meal can be served shortly after your arrival.
Bear in Mind
Availability and Prices
Please contact us for the complete price list for the year or for a quote based on specific dates.
Some properties have discounts available for smaller numbers of guests or couples.
FROM US$ 3480 PER NIGHT
Minimum stay: 2 nights throughout the year, 5 nights for New Year and Carnival.
INCLUDED IN COST:
• Daily maid service
• Daily breakfast
• All local taxes & domestic bills (except for telephone)
• Assistance of an English-speaking BBH concierge available for an extra charge and must be booked in advance
• Transfers to and from the villa
• Car hire (recommended)
• Additional staff (professional cooks, maids, babysitters, barmen, etc.) available for an extra charge and must be booked in advance
• Food & beverages (can be pre-paid so that the kitchen is fully stocked upon arrival; this service has an extra cost of US$ 150, plus the cost of the groceries)
• 13% taxes
• Availability & prices are subject to change & will be confirmed at the time a booking request is received
• A one-off US$ 300 booking fee is charged for all reservations
• A 50% non-refundable deposit is required to secure any booking, with the balance due no later than 60 days before the date of arrival. If the booking is made within 60 days of the date of arrival, then the full value of the rental is required
• Security deposit is usually 10% of the total amount of the booking (or a minimum of US$ 1,000) and should be paid with the balance. Usually it will be returned within 10 working days after departure, if there are no damages or outstanding payments to be settled upon departure
• Full Terms & Conditions may be viewed here.