- All destinations
- Pueblo Garzón
4 BEDROOMS | 10 GUESTS | PUEBLO GARZÓN, URUGUAY
Sitting on the terrace of Villa 141 on a warm summer’s evening gazing over the olive groves, vines and sun bleached hills, glass of wine in hand, you would be forgiven thinking you were in Tuscany. But this stylishly put together home, nestled in the sierras of Garzon is just 25 minutes away from Jose Ignacio, one of the hippest beach destination in South America. That the estate is home to one of Uruguay’s most highly regarded chef's and restauranteurs is quickly apparent from the comletely equipped open plan kitchen inside, the built in parrilla grills and firewood bread oven on the terrace and the organic fruit and vegetable gardens. Guests come here to savour the good things in life and to live life slowly; a good bottle of wine, the book you have always wanted to read (or write), great meals made with the best locally sourced organic produce, fabulous olive oil from the farm, a morning ride…. It’s all about being present in the moment, a luxury few of us enjoy from day-to-day.
Despite it’s perfect isolation the finca is not remote: Pueblo Garzon is a few kilometers up the road and can be reached by bicycle; Bodega Garzon’s flagship restaurant is even closer and the coast is easy accessible by car. The restaurants, shops, watersports, yoga studio and razzmatazz of José Ignacio are close enough to make a lunch and dinner on the coast a pleasure, driving back home on empty roads to the peace of the sierras. In the peak summer season when the coast starts to choke with traffic and José Ignacio is swollen with visitors, there is nowhere else we would rather have as our base on the coast than this beautiful villa. For those looking to explore further afield the less frequented beaches of Rocha make for a great day trip, as does Cabio Polonio and a visit to the beautiful forest of Ombues.
The house is set amid almost 70 hectares of rolling hills covered with vines and olive groves and the house is positioned to make the most of the views. The owners laid out the original house with the help of architect Diego Montero who has a hand in many of the most impressive houses on the coast. The understated country styling work to create a beautiful family home and one that guests will find hard to leave. The focal point of the house is an open plan kitchen and living room which has floor to ceiling doors and windows to take in the views. Huge care has been taken with the décor with rustic, practical furniture and objects that could best be described as estancia-chic with many pieces being sourced from the legendary Trading Post store in La Barra. The wooden floors are of recycled lapacho whose light tone adds both a feeling of warmth and light to the living area. The windows, doors and shutters were all taken from the Carrasco Hotel and date back to its heyday in the 1920’s.
With places to eat both inside and out it’s immediate clear that long meals feature heavily on the list of things to do here. On the south-facing side of the house is a wisteria draped loggia, ideal for shaded summer lunches and also where the wood fired bread / pizza oven is as well as an outdoor dinning areas. Facing north, with views looking down the valley to a small lake, is a wooden deck, swimming pool. Furthermore, terraces planted with rosemary, lavender, bougainvillea, white roses and an extensive herb garden all of which create a heady perfume in the evening.
The 4 bedrooms are situated together up a few steps at one end of the house that keeps them apart from the living space. Two of the bedrooms have king beds, there is a children’s room with 4 built-in bunk beds and a further room with two twin beds. The four bedrooms share two complete bathrooms, but none of them are en-suite. All the bedrooms open on to the gardens facing down the slope and enjoy uninterrupted views of the countryside.
This is a home like no other in the region and will appeal to guests that enjoy the best of life’s simplest pleasures and are happy to go without all the unnecessary frills that are often passed off as ‘luxury’ these days. To help guests make the best of their stay we stock the house prior to guests arrival with organic salads, a special selection of Uruguyan cheese, chorizos , salamis, excellent locally produced wines and Extra virgin olive oil from the finca. A chef is not included but can be booked for all or part of your stay and is highly recommended.
VILLA 141 ACCOMMODATION
• Four bedrooms: Two with king size beds, one with twin beds (that can be combined to make a third double) and a children’s room with four built in bunk beds
• 2 bathrooms
• Open plan kitchen / living / dinning room with great views
• Professional kitchen
• Wine cellar
• Barbecue grill and wood fired bread oven
• Swimming pool (3m x 9m) and surrounding wooden deck with seating and sun beds
• 70 hectares of vines and olive groves
• Herb gardens, organic vegetable garden and olive oil and wine from the estate.
Pueblo Garzón is close enough to the beaches and restaurants of Jose Ignacio (25 km) to be able to dip in and out of the best the coast has to offer at will and for house guests to enjoy a morning swim in the sea when the urge strikes. The nearest beach is about a 20-minute drive from the house and is virtually deserted even at the busiest times of the year. The water is bracing.
Laguna Garzón is a fantastic place to learn to windsurf and kite surf, sports which are taking Uruguay by force, as you will see on any breezy day on the coast.
- Swimming Pool
- Outdoor Seating
- Maid Service
- 10 Guests
- 4 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
Daily maid service is included. A chef, while not essential, is recommended for at least some meals.
Additional professional cooks, maids, babysitters, and barmen may be provided for an extra cost and paid for locally when requested in advance.
TRANSFERS TO THE VILLA
The nearest airport is at Punta del Este, 45 minutes drive.
PRE-ARRIVAL GROCERY SHOPPING
To make your arrival at the property as relaxing as possible, we suggest we stock the kitchen and fridges with a customized grocery shop prior to your trip. This means that you will arrive to a kitchen full of food, a fridge full of cold drinks and that the first meal can be served shortly after your arrival.
Car hire is essential at this property. We are happy to help with these arrangements.
Bear in Mind
Availability and Prices
Please contact us for the complete price list for the year or for a quote based on specific dates.
Some properties have discounts available for smaller numbers of guests or couples.
RATES UPON REQUEST
Minimum stay: 5 nights throughout the year, and 10 nights during the New Year Period.
INCLUDED IN COST:
• Daily maid service
• All local taxes & domestic bills (except for telephone)
• Assistance of an English-speaking BBH concierge available for an extra charge and must be booked in advance
• Transfers to and from the villa
• Car hire (recommended)
• Additional staff (professional cooks, maids, babysitters, barmen, etc.) available for an extra charge and must be booked in advance
• Food & beverages (can be pre-paid so that the kitchen is fully stocked upon arrival; this service has an extra cost of US$ 150, plus the cost of the groceries)
• Availability & prices are subject to change & will be confirmed at the time a booking request is received
• A one off US$ 300 booking fee is charged for all reservations
• A 50% non-refundable deposit is required to secure any booking, with the balance due no later than 60 days before the date of arrival. If the booking is made within 60 days of the date of arrival, then the full value of the rental is required
• Security deposit is usually 10% of the total amount of the booking (or a minimum of US$ 1,000) and should be paid with the balance. Usually it will be returned within 10 working days after departure if there are no damages or outstanding payments to be settled upon departure
• Full Terms & Conditions may be viewed here.